HERE IT IS . Now, I have not eaten fish since I was a young girl so I can not imagine why ANYONE would want to recreate Tuna Salad (giggle) but I know that people do! So...I basically took her inspiration and ran with it!
She has tons of Vegan options so check her out at her site Hoppy Bottoms.
This got me thinking...I REALLY miss chicken salad! Something HAD to be done! I really wanted to make some vegan chicken salad BUT I wanted it to stay as organic as possible. Storebought mayo is packed with chemicals and usually vegan options are too. Neither would work. I ran to the health food store and found that there are organic vegan mayo options available. SCORE! *I also found some vegan chicken salad in the deli - it was $10 per POUND!!! For $10 you could make tons of this recipe!
And don't worry! If you are not vegan and want to make this, it is a crowd pleaser! It will just look like a chickpea salad not a "mock meat" recipe. You can still make it organic by using my 5 minute/5 ingredient homemade mayo recipe found HERE. The chemical list for storebought mayo is pictured there as well so it is worth a look!
This vegan "chicken" salad recipe is so easy to make and can be altered in any way you would like to fit your favorite chicken salad. Since everyone has their favorite recipe, I am leaving the amounts off. This is merely for inspiration! This recipe from start to finish takes about 15-20 minutes and that includes toasting the chickpeas!
Here is what you will need:
I noted that I use organic. Please know that you can use ANY product available to you and it will still make an amazing vegetarian salad!
- Can of chickpeas (I use organic but any will do)
- Organic Vegan Mayo
- Celery (diced)
- Sweet Relish (organic)
- Onions (diced)
- Apples (small dice) - my favorite part!
- salt, pepper, seasonings
- Now, this step may be omitted but I believe it is what MAKES the salad. Drain your chickpeas and rinse well. Then toss them in a bit of oil and seasonings (my favorite is chili powder, salt, and pepper). Pop in the oven for about 15 minutes. For more complete instructions on making toasted chickpeas - click HERE.
- Try not to eat all of the toasted chickpeas! They are addictive and a great snack but you need to remember that you are making chicken salad.
- While the chickpeas are cooking, dice your ingredients.
- Mix together all ingredients (including chickpeas) and finish with a sprinkle of salt and pepper!
- I like to allow this recipe to sit in the fridge in an airtight container for about an hour before serving. It really allows the flavors to melt together!
If you would like some other recipes that can save you money while staying vegetarian....Feel free to check these ones out!
Try my SOY FREE Vegetarian Breakfast Sausage Even the kids LOVE this recipe and eat it - usually before I get to! :(
You can also whip up some Vegetarian "Chicken" Nuggets in no time!
Also please remember to follow me on social media for updates!