Thursday, March 14, 2013

Easy Homemade Mayo! Only 5 Ingredients!

My 1st try!

Make your own Mayo in Minutes with only 5 Ingredients!

As a family, we recently began reading labels and learning more about the foods that we were putting into our bodies. Am I a "hippe"? No, my husband likes to call me that though! We simply decided that our family ate too many convenience foods and WAY too many things that we couldn't pronounce! If my grandmother were alive today, she would shake her head at my old shopping carts. The woman lived 77 years and I am certain did not think that biscuits came from cans!

So, armed with a few hundred websites and a family of 7 behind me...I began tackling each item on our shopping list. This week, it was mayonnaise.

Remember when I said that there were too many ingredients that I couldn't pronounce going into our bodies...Check out the label for your store bought Mayo....13 ingredients... one of which is Calcium Disodium.

Do you know what Calcium Disodium EDTA (used to protect quality) is.... check out http://whatisthatingredient.com/ingredient.php?id=64  ..here's part of what it says about where Calcium Disodium EDTA comes from...

Where does CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA come from?

It is made from formaldehyde, sodium cayanide, and Ethylenediamine.

Store bought mayo still sound good? 

So.. I decided to make A homemade mayo. It consists of only a few ingredients and is SO Easy to make. No formaldehyde for me...thank you!

Here is the Recipe....

Ingredients:
1        Egg
3/4     Oil
1 tsp. Mustard
1 tsp. Lemon Juice
1 clove minced garlic
salt and pepper to taste


Directions:
  • Add Egg, Mustard, lemon juice, and salt and pepper in blender or mixer
  • Start on low speed and slowly add in the oil
  • Once you have the oil all poured in, turn it back onto high speed. 
  • Let it whip until your mixture resembles mayo. I was told it would only take 5 minutes but it did take a few extra minutes in the stand mixer so the blender may be the quicker way to go!
  • Store for up to 10 days in refrigerator

I hope you enjoy your homemade mayo! This is a simple recipe and easily tweaked for specialty sandwich spreads.

Ideas....
  • Add Sweet pickles and onion for a homemade tartar sauce!
  • Toss in some hot sauce for a buffalo mayo
  • Add extra garlic for a fancy garlic aioli
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS