Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Super Easy - Healthy NO BAKE Organic Protein Bars!


Over the past few months, my husband has become hooked on a new vice. Of all the addictions in the world; smoking, drinking, gambling, etc....he picks PROTEIN BARS! I should not complain...it is a healthy problem to have BUT it is also a $3 per bar addition. Yesterday, I believe it equated to a $20/day habit.

So...as many of you know, I am a total DIY girl and save money wherever I can. I took to the internet to find recipes and was sad when the first few pages of recipes were LOADED with sugar, processed ingredients, and junk. The other portion I found called for some crazy ingredients that I simply did not have on hand. One part of how I make organic work for a busy (LARGE) family is to keep it simple. These recipes were NOT going to work!

I decided to just take a base recipe and just wing it! These bars turned OUT AMAZING! There is little to no sugar in this recipe and they  were made with all organic ingredients. I think I am now stuck making these everyday! I made a whole tray of protein bars for the price of 2 bars!!! Score

I also chose not to bake them. This means that they are more like snack packs but they were still sooo good. I have added the directions of how to do these bars both ways.

I have to apologize in advance....I really don't have too many pictures of the bars as the kiddos broke into them before I got the chance to capture them on film!

They take about 15 minutes to make and can be altered to include your favorite nuts and dried fruits! You can also toss in your favorite health supplement like flax seeds, chia seeds, etc.

Ingredients: (I used ALL ORGANIC items BUT you can still make them healthy with your choice of brands!)
  • 2 cups raw oats
  • 2 cups toasted rice cereal (any cereal..I used toasted O's!)
  • 1/2 cup of peanut butter
  • 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup of chopped nuts (optional)
  • 1/2 teaspoon of salt
  • 1 cup of any combination of dried fruits
  • 1/4 cup of agave syrup
  • Protein powder (optional)  - I did not specify an amount as each brand requires a different amount.  Simply adjust per recipe. This made about 10 bars. 
  • optional - I added in some organic chocolate chips!
Directions:
No bake -
  1. simply mix all ingredients together
  2. press firmly into greased baking pan
  3. sit in fridge to set bars
  4. Enjoy!
Baked -
  1. Mix all ingredients together
  2. press firmly into greased baking dish
  3. Bake at 350 degrees for about 5 minutes
  4. Allow to cool then enjoy!
I hope you try them and enjoy! They are healthy and frugal way to get your protein bar fix WITHOUT all of the junk and processed foods you find in traditional bars! In case you like to grab your protein bars pre-made...check out some of our favorites!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS