Thursday, April 4, 2013

Sweet Citrus & Onion Dressing

Sweet Citrus & Onion Dressing

 I L-O-V-E a great salad dressing! My husband is a bit more of a single favorite type of guy but me...I love them all. One of my favorites has always been sweet onion dressing.

Within the past few months, I have been on a mission. I am making everything that I can from home and almost eliminating my family's need for pre-packaged foods. You may ask why, call me crazy, or say that it isn't doable but I assure you that it is a much healthier way of eating and is totally doable. We are by no means perfect and do eat out every now and again but for the most part....Its whole foods and home cooking! That doesn't mean that we are eating chicken and dumplings or stews every night...it actually means we are eating fantastic tasting "faux gourmet" foods. So armed with a few of my favorite websites and a basic kitchen knowledge....I am making everything imaginable.

WHY?
My new eating philosophy does not include things that I can not spell, pronounce, or that do not occur naturally. I figure that my grandmother never would have bought dressings and sauces so why should I. She would grow all of her own fruits and veggies then create and can! If she could do it...I can too!

Here is the label to one of my favorite dressings. This isn't my exact brand but it beautifully illustrates my point.
Ingredients: VINEGAR, SUGAR, WATER, SOYBEAN OIL, VIDALIA ONIONS (13%), RED BELL PEPPERS, SALT, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% DRIED GARLIC, PROPYLENE GLYCOL ALGINATE, LEMON JUICE CONCENTRATE, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, XANTHAN GUM, ARTIFICIAL COLOR, POLYSORBATE 60, SPICE, NATURAL FLAVOR, VITAMIN E.
Size: 16 OZ
Upc: 2100002018

Do you know what Propylene Glycol Alginate is? If not, you can check out this link at wise geek. It is a relative to antifreeze (please note that I did not say it IS...simply a relative). It is used as a food stabilizer and emulisfier and the good news is that it also inhibits the absorption of strontium, one of the more toxic components of nuclear fallout.  
 
 Polysorbate 60? The verdict is out and I am certainly no "conspiracy theorist" so I will go with what I know. Also an emulsifier that NEVER expires! 

Artifical Color? Natural Flavor? Not a whole lot of answers on this label.

Since I have been stuck in a vinegrette rut lately (its awesome btw- but I need VARIETY)  I was very excited to see a post from my friend over at Maine Homemaker! She posted a recipe for Sweet Vidalia Blender Dressing . I had most of the ingredients on hand and it was too easy to pass up. Here is my version of her recipe! I bet hers is fantastic...I just didn't have all of the ingredients!!! Mine is a crisp-tangy dressing that will top a spinach salad TONIGHT!

Ingredients:
1 clove fresh garlic 1/2 Cup sweet onion (diced)
1/4 Cup orange juice ( squeezed)
1/2 Cup olive oil
1/8 Cup sugar
1/4 Cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 Cup dijon mustard (organic for me)
1 tbsp honey
1 tsp sea salt & pepper
 
Add caption
Directions:
It gets no easier than this.....
 
1. Toss it all into the blender and blend until smooth!
 
 SO THAT'S IT!!
I hope that you try and enjoy this dressing or take some inspiration from it and try to make your own dressing!

Please swing by and visit Jenn at Maine Homemaker 
She was the inspiration for this recipe!


Check your labels, get familiar with your products....
then make them yourself!

13 comments:

  1. Girl that sounds DELICIOUS! I love your twist and am so glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for your sweet note on my blog. Looking forward to future posts from you. Glad we connected here, friend!

    Love,

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. This salad dressing looks fabulous! I love to make my own dressings. Because you know what is in them! Plus I love being able to control the flavors. Mmmm. I'm loving the fresh citrus. I can't wait to try this one out :) Krista @ A Handful of Everything

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love making new salad dressings!

    Thanks so much for sharing this at A Peek Into Paradise TGIF Link Party. I hope you will come party with us next week and see if you were featured! http://apeekintomyparadise.blogspot.com/

    Have a great week! Hugs! Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, nice blog with good info. I really like coming back here often. And wish you would create more such interesting blogs.
    Best Dining Bars Restaurants Singapore

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. I'd say 3-4 days, before the acid in the citrus starts to break things down.

      Delete
  6. Is your favorite dressing the Dole one that comes with the chopped salad? I love that SO MUCH, and I was actually looking online for a copy when I found this page. :D I'm going to make it tomorrow, because it sounds great, even if it's not supposed to be a copy of the Dole one. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is your favorite dressing the Dole one that comes with the chopped salad? I love that SO MUCH, and I was actually looking online for a copy when I found this page. :D I'm going to make it tomorrow, because it sounds great, even if it's not supposed to be a copy of the Dole one. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How was it? I love Dole's sweet onion & citrus as well!

      Delete
  8. Can u tell me the amount of carbs in this?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Python VS Scala which language is better for machine learning. Our experts will tell you about both languages and which language is better for machine learning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Who are new to this programming world, this blog is very helpful for those. In this you will learn what is Programming language and Its Types from programmers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you want to make a good career in Assembly language then firstly you want to know What is Assembly Language and How it is useful for your future.

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS