My kids will NOT eat the crusts of bread so when I began my frugal-organic mission, I wasn't about to waste anything! So, I decided to start removing the crusts of the bread BEFORE making the sandwiches! I ended up with lots of bags of crusts in the fridge so I had to come up with TONS of ways to use them - Check out 10 ways to use bread crusts -they were all pretty good but my favorite has to be the Panzeanella! It is a crowd pleaser and looks so refined that no one would guess that it was actually something that would have been discarded!
My recipes are very simple and please feel free to change up any of the ingredients. I have not indicated amounts because this dish varies based on the leftovers I have, what is in the fridge, and how much bread crust I have on hand so use your intuition and your taste buds!
HOMEMADE TOMATO BASIL PANZANELLA
- Cubed Stale bread (any kind) you can also use fresh bread! Just toast it up in the oven first (croutons!)!
- Sliced Onions
- Minced Garlic
- Diced Tomatoes
- Basil (fresh basil gives a bright flavor but use whatever is handy for you!)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Red Wine Vinegar
- Salt and Pepper
- Sliced Cucumber
|This time I added peppers to my dressing!|
- If I can, I make the "dressing" the night before...it really helps the flavors develop! In a mixing bowl add sliced onions, minced garlic, salt and pepper, about half of your basil, olive oil, and vinegar. This is a basic vinaigrette so it has so many uses!
- 30 minutes before serving, toss the crusty bread with tomatoes, cucumbers, and your vinaigrette. Let it sit out at room temperature and stir occasionally to get the flavors working together.
- Top with your remaining basil and serve salad style!
Tip: DO NOT PUT THIS IN THE REFRIGERATOR after mixed. It will cause the tomatoes to break down and release their natural waters and will cause your bread to get too soggy.
|This isn't the prettiest picture - my kids did the bread tearing for this batch!|
For good measure, here is a gorgeous picture and recipe from The Food Network
|CLICK HERE FOR THIS GRILLED PANZANELLA RECIPE|
I hope you enjoyed this recipe and take away some inspiration to create your own amazing recipes as well create something gorgeous from scraps!
Please stop by Frugal Fit Family for more money saving tips, tricks, and recipes to stretch your dollar!