Vegetarian Chicken Nuggets!
I have mentioned before that I am (or have been) the only vegetarian in my house. Recently, my husband decided to cut meat almost totally out of his diet so I have had to get pretty creative lately to make meals that are vegetarian, satisfying, and great for the whole family. One thing that my family LOVES is chicken! Boneless chicken bites are so popular and the sauces that go on them are some of the only things that I miss as a vegetarian! So..I decided to make my own "boneless chicken" and dress them up with homemade sauces.
These "chicken" nuggets were extremely easy and a HIT! They were great plain and even better when tossed into bar-b-que sauce. Feel free to experiment with this recipe and make it your own.
The main ingredient in these faux "chicken" nuggets are garbanzo beans! Garbanzo beans are very HIGH in fiber so it s a great way to get some extra fiber into your diet. They have a "buttery" texture when blended and a bit of a "nutty" taste. I used them from a can this time but feel free to use dried beans and soak them overnight before making this recipe!
1 can organic garbanzo beans (drained)
1 tsp mustard
1 clove of garlic
1/4 cup oatmeal (raw)
3 tbsp flour
salt and pepper to taste
They only took 5 minutes to make and about 8 minutes in the skillet!
Makes about 20 nuggets
1. Add all of the ingredients into a food processor - or a strong blender
2. Blend until creamy!
3. Put a bit of flour into a shallow bowl.
4. Form a "ball" of "chicken" and roll it in the flour.
5. I pan fried these in a bit of coconut oil. I have also done it just with spray and have seen these completely deep fried!
6. Cook on both sides until golden brown!
7. ENJOY them plain OR tossed in your favorite sauce!!
It was so easy that the kids almost totally made these (except the skillet part)!
Let me know if you try these and how they turned out for you!!