Thursday, August 29, 2013

Soy-Free Vegetarian Breakfast Sausage Recipe

I hate to admit it-I am a VEGGIE SAUSAGE ADDICT! Sounds harmless enough, right?!? Not to me. I am also trying to go as organic as possible (I am 95% of the way there) and the ingredient list on the box of my favorite veggie sausages just aren't sitting right with me.....

The brand shall remain nameless...

Ingredients:

WHEAT GLUTEN WITH WATER FOR HYDRATION, SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE WITH WATER FOR HYDRATION, WATER, CORN OIL, EGG WHITES, SODIUM CASEINATE, MODIFIED TAPIOCA STARCH, CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF SOYBEAN OIL, LACTOSE, SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE, HYDROLYZED VEGETABLE PROTEIN (WHEAT GLUTEN, CORN GLUTEN, SOY PROTEIN), AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT, SPICES, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, MODIFIED VEGETABLE GUM, SODIUM TRIPOLYPHOSPHATE, SALT, CARAMEL COLOR, DISODIUM INOSINATE, CRUSHED RED PEPPER, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, WHEY*, MALTODEXTRIN, RED BELL PEPPERS, HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, BLACK PEPPER, CAYENNE PEPPER, DEXTROSE, ONION POWDER, DISODIUM GUANYLATE, TETRASODIUM PYROPHOSPHATE, TRICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, SODIUM HEXAMETAPHOSPHATE, SUCCINIC ACID, NIACINAMIDE, MONOSODIUM PHOSPHATE, LACTIC ACID, ASCORBIC ACID, BREWER'S YEAST, TORULA YEAST, CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, SOY LECITHIN, IRON (FERROUS SULFATE), THIAMIN MONONITRATE (VITAMIN B1), PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B6), RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), VITAMIN B12.

NOTHING about that list says organic! It may be lower in fat and cholesterol than traditional sausage but I see tons of modified foods and chemicals in the ingredient list. This forced me to go without my favorite breakfast food! Let's not even mention the price of the meatless options. It's something like $5 for 6 small patties. NOT hitting my budget line either.

So, I looked online to find something I could easily and inexpensively make at home. I found many recipes that used TVP (which is debatable by many for those who are eating organically), tempeh, gluten products, and soy. Who readily keeps these items readily at home? Okay...maybe a few of us but I was looking for a "cleaner" - less processed- version of the recipe.

This recipe can be edited and adjusted to suit your favorite type of sausage. Add Italian spices if you like or add some apples and jalapenos for a twist!  Just start with the base and party on!

Ingredients:
  • 1 can of rinsed Garbanzo Beans
  • 1 cup of Organic Oats
  • 2 Tablespoons of wheat flour
  • 1 egg (can be omitted to be vegan)
  • 1/2 teaspoon of mustard
  • 1 teaspoon of crushed fennel seed
  • 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  •  1 teaspoon of sage
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1-2 teaspoons of sweetener. I use Stevia or Organic Maple Syrup. Any sweetener will work.

 Directions:
  1. Add all ingredients except oats into a food processor. I like the texture of the Garbanzo beans so I sometimes mash the ingredients together with the bottom of a cup to avoid the food processor mess!
  2.  Add in the oats and stir one last time. 
  3. Form into "patties" and grill over medium high heat until golden brown on both sides.

If you are looking for some other Vegetarian recipes...Check out My vegetarian Chicken Nuggets Also made with Garbanzo beans. I try to prep these on the same day as the ingredients are very similar! You can also add an easy hummus dip to the day! The star of that heart healthy dish is also---The garbanzo bean!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS