Thursday, August 29, 2013

Organic French Dressing - Low Carb

If you are following (and I hope you are), you may know that my family is eating at least 95% Organic these days. I am determined to keep chemicals out of our food and committed to doing it on a budget!

I was shocked when we started our journey and began looking at the back of bottles. The most surprising labels were the ones that most people consider to be "health" foods. Check out this list of ingredients taken directly from Kraft's website!


Do you know what Natural Flavor is? How about Phosphoric Acid? Why use Red and Blue Food coloring...just use real ingredients!

KRAFT SALAD DRESSING - SALAD DRESSING - CLASSIC CATALINA
Ingredients: SUGAR, TOMATO PUREE (WATER, TOMATO PASTE), VINEGAR, SOYBEAN OIL, WATER, SALT, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, PHOSPHORIC ACID, DRIED ONIONS, XANTHAN GUM, GUAR GUM, NATURAL FLAVOR, RED 40, BLUE 1, SORBIC ACID AND CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA (TO PROTECT FRESHNESS).



Anyway, that just wasn't going to work for us! I tried buying Organic French at the grocery store but paying $4-$5 for one bottle of dressing was a bit pricey (if you don't know me, I am cheap)!

So....I started looking for recipes online. There are a lot out there and many use ketchup/catsup as their main ingredient. For some reason, I have a personal vendetta against the sugary red stuff. I blame this on my younger brother who did and still does eat it on EVERYTHING! I can't smell it, look at it, or hear the dreaded plop of ketchup.

I had to come up with something! I came up with a tangy version of the dressing which is void of chemicals and overly processed foods YET super high in flavor! Feel free to edit this recipe to your liking. French dressing is like coffee, there are TONS of ways to have it: tangy; sweet; creamy; spicy, etc. Make it YOUR WAY!

Ingredients:
  • 1/4- 1/2 cup Organic Tomato Sauce
  • 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
  • 1/4 cup Olive Oil
  • 1/2 White Onion (chopped)
  • Salt & Pepper
  • 1 tsp. Chili Powder
  • 3 tbsp. Stevia or use an organic sugar. Honey may be great too! Using sugar or honey will add carbs but if you aren't watching those, use whatever you have on hand!
Some optional additions: 1 teaspoon lemon juice to brighten flavor, tobasco sauce, hint of stone mustard, crushed garlic, etc. You can change this up however you would like!

Directions:
 This is as easy as it gets!
  1.  Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. 
  2. Store in the refrigerator in a sealed container. The longer it sets, the more the flavor develops! I like to use it the next day.
Sorry the directions were so short BUT if it isn't easy....it isn't getting done around my house! Eating organic is a lifestyle for us which means that we have to stay within our budget and we have to be able to execute it.

Here are a few more of my favorite Organic Dressing Recipes!

If you are interested in making an Organic Ranch Dressing that is super yummy and super healthy..CLICK HERE!

Or....
try my
Sweet Citrus& Onion Dressing HERE
 
Go all out and try some homemade mayo- only 5 ingredients!


Please remember to follow me on your favorite social media source to stay updated on all of my THRIFTY Organic Recipes!

If you have a favorite dressing you would like for me to replicate...let me know and I would be happy to do it! Thanks for checking me out!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS