Thursday, May 30, 2013

Much Ado About STRAWBERRIES!

Hi everyone! I am Cathy and I blog over at A Peek Into My Paradise. I would love for you to take a peek and poke around my blog. I am sure you will find something you will love. If you like what you see, please stop by my FacebookPinterestTwitter, or Bloglovin. I love to make new friends! I am honored to be sharing at Frugal Fit Family. Thank you Heather for inviting me! 
A few weeks ago I noticed the strawberries were popping up in produce departments. Have you seen them this season? The strawberries I bought at Costco are HUGE and a beautiful deep red! 

Strawberries are tied with bananas as my favorite fruit! However, for my family of four, I have two children (adults now) but when we were a family of four, strawberries were the one fruit we all loved. During the summer Strawberry Shortcake was a popular dessert. My mom always made fresh biscuits with Bisquick for our "shortcakes", so of course, I did too. No spongy foam cakes in our house. Yuck! I know they are popular, probably because they are quick and easy, but they don't hold a candle to a fresh baked biscuit.

I cut the strawberries into slices a few hours before serving. Piled them in a bowl and sprinkle with a little sugar (and later a little Splenda when I joined Weight Watchers) to bring out the juices of the fruit and make a sweet natural syrup. 
When it was time for dessert, Strawberry Shortcake took minutes to assemble. Cut a biscuit in half, pile up the strawberries and plop a healthy scoop of fat free cool whip on top! I was a happy girl - and so was my family!

I thought I would share some of the strawberry tips I have compiled over the years.....
  1. Make your own soda. Puree 2 cups of strawberries with 1/3 cup of sugar, press through a sieve. Stir into lime seltzer. 
  2. A refreshing treat - Toss sliced strawberries with chopped mint and balsamic vinegar. (This was a favorite while I was getting to goal weight on Weight Watchers!)
  3. How about a grown-up milkshake? Whirl vanilla frozen yogurt and strawberries in a blender (I use my Vitamix) and mature that sweet drink with a shot of berry liqueur!
  4. My family discovered a favorite strawberry dish on a Carnival Cruise way back in 2001; Strawberry Soup. We enjoyed it SO much, I bought the Cruise Lines cookbook just for THAT recipe! My version now: Blend 4 cups of strawberries, 1 cup vanilla yogurt and a squirt of honey. Heaven in a bowl!
  5. Forget the flavored cream cheese in the grocery store! It is SO much better making it yourself! Beat a brick of cream cheese, pureed strawberries and a couple packets of sweetener or sugar. Spread on a bagel - delish!
  6. About 15 year ago, my girlfriend Julie, introduced me to Strawberries dipped in sour cream and rolled in brown sugar. OH MY! How did I make it to 30 and never had eaten strawberries this way!? If you have not experienced strawberries this way - trust me - try them! 

    One cup of strawberries has more vitamin C than an orange!


    I know what your thinking?
    What time does Costco close?
    Can I go get a big pack of strawberries right now so
    I can make a few of these yummy treats?

    Here are a few more....

  7. Puree strawberries in a blender; warm them a minute or so in the microwave. Spread brownie batter in a non-stick sprayed baking pan. Pour the puree on the batter. Drag a knife through the batter to swirl. Bake as directed by the brownie recipe. 
  8. Crumble one of the brownies you made in number 7 above and sprinkle over frozen vanilla yogurt. OR put the frozen yogurt in a blender, add a brownie, mix it up for a wonderful Strawberry Brownie Milkshake! 
  9. Stir strawberry puree into vanilla greek yogurt. Tip: I puree 4 cups of strawberries at a time and it keeps in the refrigerator 3-4 days; but it rarely lasts that long!
  10. When your taking A Peek Into My Paradise you will see I have quite a love affair with bananas! And Peanut Butter.... So put them together! Make a peanut butter, sliced strawberries and banana sandwich! Better yet, yes even better - grill that sandwich!
  11. For a wonderful summer dinner, blend strawberries into vinaigrette, then toss with arugula, chopped berries and grilled chicken. A warm baguette and dinner is served!
  12. If the Grown-Up Milkshake sounded good...how about starting the summer with a Strawberry Margarita? Blend 3 cups of strawberries, 1/4 cup lime juice, 1/2 cup tequila, some sugar and ice. Kick your feet up and watch the kids run through the sprinklers! Oh, I miss those carefree summers when we could play all day and not go to work.....ok...back to the strawberry ideas. 
  13. Remember these? Make ice pops. Puree 4 cups strawberries, 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup orange juice. Fill up the molds (or kitchen size dixie cups) and freeze.
    Well, I could go on and on about strawberries! Oh - chop some up and toss them into your favorite pancake mix. Yum! Ok, I'm done for now. 

    Heather, thanks again for having me! I hope you are having an awesome vacation! I can't wait to see the pictures and hear all about! Say, over a Strawberry Milkshake and Skype?

    Have a terrific weekend friends! I hope you take A Peek Into My Paradise and when you do, leave me a note in the comment box. How exciting! New friends!





No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS