Monday, February 25, 2013

Healthy Homemade Zucchini Cake Recipe

Trust me, they taste better than they look!Healthy Grilled Zucchini Cakes with Red Pepper and Feta - Ruby's Tuesdays "Look alike" recipe!

This recipe is very similar to the ones you get at popular restaurants but is much healthier! It is a crowd pleasure as a main dish or side dish for vegetarians and carnivores too!
I am the ONLY vegetarian in my house so I am always on the hunt for recipes that are not only healthy but also good for me as well as my carnivorous family. This recipe fit the bill!
After being a vegetarian for a few years, I found that I desperately missed crab cakes, not the crab part but the flavors. This recipe is so easy to make and closely resembles a crab cake. I had something very similar while I was at Ruby Tuesdays and fell in love. The only thing that I didn't love was the fat content! I came home and began my mission to find a copy cat recipe. I tried a few that weren't so great but tweaked the recipes until I came up with this version.
Here is how the zucchini looks when shredded!
Here is how the zucchini looks when shredded!
Even the Batter Looks GOOD!These are easy to make and surprisingly healthy! They can be served as a side dish or as a main course and are easily adapted to add your favorite ingredient...yes, even crab.







!
Flatten them so they cook all the way through and cook until golden brown!

Cook Time

Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 8 min
Ready in: 28 min
Yields: 8 - 10 cakes depending on the size

Ingredients

  • 2 cups zucchini, grated and drained
  • 1/4 cup red pepper, finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup onions, small dice
  • 1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped
  • 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
  • 8 ounces Feta Cheese
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup flour, any kind (I use whole wheat)
  • to taste salt and pepper

Just a few easy steps!

  1. Mix all ingredients together by hand except for the eggs
  2. Whip the eggs together and then add them to the vegetable mixture and stir well until everything is incorporated and consistent looking.
  3. Add the oil or cooking spray to a frying pan and drop spoonfuls of the zucchini mixture into the pan - press down and flatten. You will want to press these down so that everything inside the cake cooks evenly.
  4. Give the cakes a few minutes and then turn over and cook the other side to a golden brown.
  5. Serve and ENJOY!






1 comment:

  1. Creative zucchini recipes are hard to find! We always seem to have SO much zucchini and so little things to use it in! Thanks for a great recipe :)

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS